Planning for Success

Plan 

In five years time I can imagine and picture myself working in event photography, I would like to eventually be working in this environment or become self-employed. My work to me is considered as documentary, I do feel I am heading in the right direction when it comes to the production of work in a documentary context. In my previous years of study I have produced a documentation of my early life and I have created a contrast between my childhood experiences and my experiences as an adult. I am confident that I have found my style as a documentary and storytelling photographer.


Small steps:


  • Research exhibitions. 

  • Subscribe to Artist Newsletter. 

  • Keep any social media pages up to date with the most recent work. 

  • Find out and research about becoming self employed. 

  • Add images to my website.

  • Contact local photographers for research and inspiration.



Big ideas:


  • Potentially become self employed. 

  • Create another photo book with this year's images. 

  • Create a physical portfolio for any interviews regarding universities and jobs. 

  • Find out about exhibitions to get involved in.

  • Do my MA in a city or university away from home, to create a contrast in perspective, after taking a gap year. 

  • Seek employment through applying for photography jobs within festivals and events. 


    Act/Reflect


    I have been attending exhibitions when I can, I visited Bristol as my mum lives near there. Whilst I was there attended two exhibitions. The first one was an exhibition which was outside, it was a series of photographs based on the SS Great Britain ship when it travelled from Bristol to the Falklands. It was interesting to go to an exhibition which was outside, especially in these times, it gave me inspiration to suggest to the group that we could potentially have our exhibition outside, due to covid there would be less health and safety regulations to think about. The second exhibition was a series of paintings by Denzil Forrester being shown in the Spike Island Galleries. The paintings were based on his drawings and sketches he had done whilst attending nights in club venues in the 80s in London and from current times in his home town in Grenada. The paintings were extremely beautiful and vibrant. I was extremely pleased with these exhibitions, both of which gave me loads of inspiration and I am excited to attend more, if and when I can.

    As I was in town I came across a gallery in the Deiniol Centre in Bangor, it was beautiful and vibrant there were many bright paintings. I spoke to the artist for a short while and found out that you can rent space in the Deiniol Centre, it can be rented for up to six weeks, I asked about the rent fees and she told me that you only have to pay for electric. This is useful information, I was looking at the size of the space and I would say it was probably about the same size as the Oriel Colwyn building which we use, so I am going to suggest to the others in the group about getting in contact with someone that works there.

    I have subscribed to the Artist Newsletter, I have been using the website to look for articles related to my work, I have been checking to see if there are any exhibitions that may relate to my practice and I have been seeing if there are any online exhibitions excepting any photographic work at the moment.


    I am happy I have subscribed to this newsletter, I can explore through the different events, exhibitions, news and even opportunities such as jobs. It is also interesting to look through the different types of blogs that are listed on the Artist Newsletter, it is important to gain an understanding about how others write, it can be used as inspiration in the future when it comes to writing my own blog(s).

    Researching to become self employed has given me an insight to what I may need to do in the future. I know have more of an understanding of when and how you should become self employed and I have even created a broad plan for after I complete an MA and have a gap year. I feel almost at at ease now I have more of a plan for my future and it seems less daunting now I have better knowledge of what becoming self employed may entail.

    I have been in contact with a photographer who I am interested in, his name is Matthew Smith, he is a British photographer who documented the rave scene in the 90s. A lot of his work documents the raves which were to protest the 1994 criminal justice act, I am very interested in this and have been doing a lot of research on this subject as it is going to be a an important part in my dissertation. I messaged Matthew Smith as I have him on Facebook and he has agreed to do an interview.

    I have also been in contact with someone called Mark Sleigh through Facebook messenger, we are in a poetry group together, he is a self-published author and has just published a book called 'Those Who Were Dancing - From Rave to The Grace'. I have published the book it arrives on the 18th of January, I am excited to read it. Mark Sleigh knows people from the Spiral Tribe, a sound-system that was active in the 90s and they are now a n arts and music collective known as SP23. Mark has kindly said that he would get me in contact with someone from Spiral Tribe so that I can as them about their time involved in the free party and free festival scene.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Premiere Pro

Seana Gavin

Interests and Inspirations